Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Cockney Alphabet - (detail) R for Cock Linnet

The Cockney Alphabet - (detail) R for Cock Linnet*

A little taster of my new limited edition screen print, The Cockney Alphabet.
A for 'Orses, B for Mutton, &c., &c.. (you get the picture)

Limited Edition screen print, 50 cm by 70 cm (B2), signed and numbered by the artist,




* Cockney rhyming slang: minute

This lady dillying and dallying about the old Club Row bird market is edwardian Music Hall star Marie Lloyd, famous for her saucy performances and double entendre. When asked to tone down her song 'I sits among the Cabbages and Peas' because of its suggestion of micturation in the vegetable patch, she promised to amend the words - and sang instead 'I sits among the Cabbages and Leeks'! Much better!

Her most famous number was 'My Old Man (said Follow the Van)';-
My old man said "Follow the van,
And don't dilly dally on the way".
Off went the van wiv me 'ome packed in it,
I followed on wiv me old cock linnet
But I dillied and dallied, dallied and I dillied
Lost me way and don't know where to roam.
Well you can't trust a special like the old time coppers
When you can't find your way 'ome!

No comments: